top of page
  • Gary Singer

Ask a real estate pro: Do I really need to buy insurance on top of condo association’s policy?

March 11, 2021

Q: We are buying a condo apartment, and the association has insurance coverage for the whole building. When we tried to purchase insurance to cover just the property’s contents, we were told that it did not work that way. Why do we need to buy the same type of insurance that our building already purchased? — Carmine

A: Every condominium unit owner, and for that matter, every homeowner, should carry hazard insurance, and when called for, additional coverages such as for windstorms and earthquakes.

Insurance can seem expensive but repairing or replacing your home and its contents is devastating if you are uninsured.


bottom of page