top of page

June 6, 2021

Ryan Poliakoff

Condo Q&A

Dear Poliakoffs,

A few years ago I had mold damage in my condominium unit. My insurance company told me the condominium association was responsible for the cost of replacing the drywall. The condominium association told me they were not responsible and refused to pay me. Who is right?

Signed, H.E.

Dear H.E.,

In my experience, both insurance companies and condominium associations over-simplify the question of who is responsible to repair interior drywall.

April 3, 2021

Legal Matters - Rob Samouce

Special to Naples Daily News

Questions often arise when there is an insurable event (such as when a water or sewer pipe bursts), who pays for the damage? The Condominium Association or the Unit Owner.

The answer will depend upon what the damaged items are. Section 718.111(11)(f), Florida Statutes, provides that:

“(f) Every (Condominium Association) property insurance policy issued or renewed on or after January 1, 2009, for the purpose of protecting the condominium must provide primary coverage for:

1. All portions of the condominium property as originally installed or replacement of like kind and quality, in accordance with the original plans and specifications.

March 11, 2021

Q: We are buying a condo apartment, and the association has insurance coverage for the whole building. When we tried to purchase insurance to cover just the property’s contents, we were told that it did not work that way. Why do we need to buy the same type of insurance that our building already purchased? — Carmine

A: Every condominium unit owner, and for that matter, every homeowner, should carry hazard insurance, and when called for, additional coverages such as for windstorms and earthquakes.

Insurance can seem expensive but repairing or replacing your home and its contents is devastating if you are uninsured.

bottom of page